I see you hovering in the corner hoping no one notices the pain underneath the smile you pasted on before coming into the room. I hear the silent cries you whimper out before joining the group of laughing friends. I feel the heaviness of the burden you set down at the door so you could pick up the weight of another among us. I sense the depth of loneliness you feel inside this crowded room.
The version of you that you hope no one notices but yet wish someone would. Because it would be easier to just be real and not pretend. The weight of pretense is enormously heavy. But the risk of being real can be terribly frightening.
That real and often disguised version of you? The you with the broken heart, shattered dreams, and life that is less than you imagined. The you that has suffered loss, broken promises, and buckled under life’s weariness. That’s the one I see when I look into your eyes clouded behind pretense.
- I see raw and unabashed beauty. The beauty of a mosaic made from broken pieces of discarded works of art that we call dreams.
- I see a heart that is pure. Wonderful intention even though, in some moments, has been exchanged for less than stellar choices.
- I see the gift of grace displayed. Bestowed on those you love but often withheld, by you, for yourself.
- I see the spirit of forgiveness. I watch how you keep going on loving those who have disappointed you.
- I see enormous strength. Things that would break weaker vessels have created strength in you.
- I see faith displayed in bravery. You may not feel brave, but your perseverance in the face of heartache shouts bravery.
- I see a soul that is lovely. One that is making a difference in the lives around you.
I just want to tell you that the real you is beautiful, unique and one of God’s gracious gifts to the world. He dreamed of you, chose the perfect moment to create you in secret, waited for months to share you with the world, and has been cheering you on for all these years.
God can take some pretty awful situations and turn them around as beautiful molding places in our lives. His studio specializes in restoration of broken and damaged canvases. He meticulously restores to usefulness what others would throw away. And the work He has begun in you? Oh, He will finish it and it will be a masterpiece. Just you wait and see.